Skip to main content

Complete Indulgence

Baking is my favorite...so lets get to it!

Snicker pie
1 Oreo crust
6-8 large snicker bars
1/4 cup milk
1 tub cool whip
On very low heat melt snicker bars and milk making sure to stir often.  Once fully melted add cool whip.  Stir well.  Pour into Oreo crust and chill for at least 4 hours.  Makes 8-10 servings

Ginger and Pear Tart
30 gingersnap cookies
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup half-and-half
1 package (4-serving size) vanilla instant pudding mix
2 Tablespoons apricot brandy
4 ripe pears
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Preheat oven to 350F.  Combine cookies and pecans in food processor or blender.  Process until finely crushed.  Combine crumb mixture and butter.  Press firmly onto bottom and up side of 10 in quiche dish or 9-inch pie plate.  Bake 7 minutes; cool completely.  Combine sour cream and half-and-half.  Beat until smooth.  Whisk in pudding mix.  Add apricot brandy.  Beat until smooth.  Pour into prepared crust.  Cover; refrigerate several hours or overnight.  Just before serving, preheat broiler. Peel pears and Cut in half lengthwise.  Remove cores and seeds.  Slice pears, thinly.  Arrange pear slices in overlapping circles on top of pudding mixture.  Combine brown sugar and ginger in bowl.  Sprinkle evenly over pears.  Broil 4-6 minutes or until sugar is melted and bubbly.  Be careful not to burn the sugar.  Makes 6-8 servings

Praline Pumpkin Tart
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter
2-4 Tablespoons ice water
1can(16 ounces) pumpkin
1 can (13 ounces) evaporated milk ( 1/1/2 cups)
2 eggs
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

For crust combine flour, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture forms pea-sized pieces.  Sprinkle flour mixture with water 1 Tablespoon at a time until mixture holds together.  Form into ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 1 hour or until chilled.  Roll out dough and place in tart pan. Flute edges.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 400F.  Pierce tart crust with fork about 40 times.  Line tart pan with foil and dried beans.  Bake 10 minutes or until set.  Remove and cool completely. 

For filling, preheat oven to 400F.  Beat pumpkin, milk, eggs brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, ginger and cloves in large bowl at low speed.  Pour into cooled tart crust.  Bake 35 minutes.

Prepare Praline Topping.  Place 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, 1/3 cup chopped pecans, and 1/3 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats in small bowl.  Cut 1 Tablespoon butter, softened until crumbs form.  sprinkle topping over center of tart leaving 1 1/2-inch rim around edge.  Bake 15 minutes more or until knife comes out clean.  Cool completely.  Pipe around edge with homemade whipped cream. Garnish with pecan halves.
Makes 8 servings

Hope y'all have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Until next time...
Jessie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Judgment Loomed

As I exited the door my heart was pierced with their animosity.  Hatred and poison spewed from their lips. The savage mob encircled me with no escape.  Screaming just a breath away from my face.  Shoving with such force I was almost knocked to the ground.  Humiliated.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed through the violence.  Once inside my car I began to weep.   Even in the present their vile words reel through my mind.  Beads of sweat began to form in my tightly clinched fists.  Squirming in my chair... biting my lower lip as an attempt to hold it together.  Peering above the Pastor's head as though I was looking at him... knowing if I did I would burst into tears.  That was my experience at church this past Sunday.  To my relief the Pastor spoke words of love, life and truth NOT condemnation.  Healing and refreshing. ...

Farewell Mr. Turkey

It's time to roll up our sleeves and have some fun in the kitchen!  I can't wait for the scrumptious aroma of Thanksgiving dinner to travel through my home like a welcomed guest.  Mmmmm...yummy!  My mouth is waterin' just thinkin' about it. I get a lot of requests for recipes so here are a few that seem to earn a coveted spot on the menu year after year. Gingered Pumpkin-Pear Soup (Great Appetizer) 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger 1Tbsp. butter 3 pears, peeled, cored, and sliced 1 15-oz. can pumpkin (fresh pumpkin is best) 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth 1 cup milk 1/4 cup sour cream 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lime peel 1 Tbsp. lime juice In a large saucepan cook onion and ginger in butter until onion is tender.  Stir in pears; cook 1 minute more.  Stir in pumpkin and broth; heat to boiling.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until pears are tender.  Cool slightly.  In...

A New Chapter

It seems like yesterday... I can still remember the moment his bare skin pressed against my chest.  With limbs too exhausted to move - still they found their way to envelope this tiny gift.  "Hi baby, I'm your mom."  With the sound of my voice his face turned to meet mine.  Deep, genuine eyes peered into my soul.  Doctors rushed about as I lay on the table, life draining from my veins, but the atmosphere did not speak of the danger lurking.  For just a moment... as that little guy locked me into his gaze.. all was perfect...Heaven met us both... and in our own world two hearts melted into one.   The room was quiet.  Doctors, family and friends had finally left us alone.  This was the moment I had been waiting for.  Yet I was terrified - terrified that I would fail him.  In silence I sat, fixated on the clear plastic basket that held my heart.  My breath heaved heavy as I pic...