Skip to main content

O Christmas Tree...O Christmas Tree...

It's official!  The Christmas season is in full swing at my house!  I am thrilled!  I've been bustin' at the seams to let my creative juices flow and sprinkle some cheer into every nook and cranny of my home.  My passionate desire actually started the week before Thanksgiving, but we have a rule in our home...we make sure to stop and enjoy each  season and holiday (without giving into the temptation to get ahead of ourselves).  However, after the Thanksgiving feast is complete the Christmas decor is pulled from the attic and a way we go.  It makes my heart happy!


My home has been finished for a bit now but I haven't had the time to show you what I've done.  I've been busy with parties, shopping and so forth...I like to plan all those events the first few weeks of December and leave the last couple of weeks to spend with family/friends.




Come on in for the first part of Jessie's Christmas Tour
   


At our house it just doesn't feel like Christmas until the tree is up.  It's one of the most cherished things to all of us but especially me.  I grew up in a Muslim household.  We were not allowed to have a tree or any Christmas decorations for that matter with one exception; I was allowed to have a tiny tree in my bedroom.  I strung an old strand of lights that I had found, decorated it with ornaments that I made in school and would sit for hours watching the twinkling lights of my tiny tree... listening to an old Bing Crosby Christmas record (that my grandpa had given me)... sippin' hot cocoa and dreaming of the day I would have a family of my own.  How special Christmas would be then!  I'm SO grateful now that I have a family of my own...it's all I dreamed it would be. 


Each year we create special memories as we gather 'round to trim the tree with ornaments we have collected through the yearsWe try to get ornaments that have a special meaning to each person, due to an event that happened that year.  When all the kids grow up they will take their treasures with them and hopefully carry on the tradition with their families.  I will admit this year the hubby and I were in a 'heated discussion' the day we were to decorate the tree.  However, as soon as each memory was unwrapped hearts melted... pride ran... tears flowed and forgiveness took over.  It has become a very intimate and healing time for us.


Our tree 








Now, I will say I absolutely LOVE decorating the tree as a family, but the designer in me does cringe ever so often when I see seven ornaments dripping from one branch.  Or when the kids were little and would place all of their ornaments on the bottom third of the tree.  As difficult as it may be I have decided to make my inward designer take a vacation through the holidays and allow the children to do whatever they  want.  After all, it's about precious memories not designer trees.


Here are A  few of my favorite ornaments


This one is dearest to my heart.  It was given by my husband (the year divorce papers were filed) with a treasured note tucked inside.








I received this one just moments before walking down the isle to remarry my sweetie.






My eldest son (Joshua) made me this sweet angel when he was five.  Each year that passes it becomes more dear to me as I watch him grow into a man and know he will be leaving soon.






This one holds a special place on the tree.  A cross representing the year my husband accepted Christ and our entire family changed.






In memory of my precious friend.








One that still tears at my heart.  My husband got her for me last year to remind me that angels were on my side.  It had been a difficult year.  We were in a process of waiting for an adoption to go through.  In February of this year we learned it wasn't going to work out (even though we were told it would be a sure deal).  My heart sank.  We loved this little girl so much already.  We had already started preparing for her arrival, and called her by the name we had chosen.  Her middle name was to be Faith.  That's what I have to have... faith.  Faith that God will protect her.  Faith that He will bring people into her life that will cherish her and tell her all about Jesus.  She was beautiful!  We never were allowed to hold her (per the father) but I was able to take pictures that are very special to us now.  I don't understand why God didn't let us have her, instead of being bounced around in foster care.  It doesn't seem fair.  One of those questions without answers...a prayer that didn't end the way I wanted.  But looking back I do see how God's hand was on everything and even though I don't fully understand I will trust His plan for us and for her.  Hopefully, one day I will have the chance to hold her in Heaven.  Please say a prayer that she would be safe.  She's not mine...but she's not forgotten.








  Hope you come back next time for more of Jessie's Christmas Tour!



Until then...  
Jessie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Judgment Loomed

As I exited the door my heart was pierced with their animosity.  Hatred and poison spewed from their lips.  Murderer!  Whore!  Baby killer!  You'll rot in Hell for what you did!  Over and over...  The savage mob encircled me with no escape.  Screaming just a breath away from my face.  Shoving with such force I was almost knocked to the ground.  They spat in my hair.  Humiliated.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed through the violence.  Once inside my car I began to weep.   Even in the present their vile words reel through my mind.  Beads of sweat began to form in my tightly clinched fists.  Squirming in my chair... biting my lower lip as an attempt to hold it together.  Peering above the Pastor's head as though I was looking at him... knowing if I did I would burst into tears.  That was my experience at church this past Sunday.  To my relief the Pastor spoke words of love, life and truth NOT condemnation.  Healing and refreshing.  It was the uninvited memories that ha

A New Chapter

It seems like yesterday... I can still remember the moment his bare skin pressed against my chest.  With limbs too exhausted to move - still they found their way to envelope this tiny gift.  "Hi baby, I'm your mom."  With the sound of my voice his face turned to meet mine.  Deep, genuine eyes peered into my soul.  Doctors rushed about as I lay on the table, life draining from my veins, but the atmosphere did not speak of the danger lurking.  For just a moment... as that little guy locked me into his gaze.. all was perfect...Heaven met us both... and in our own world two hearts melted into one.   The room was quiet.  Doctors, family and friends had finally left us alone.  This was the moment I had been waiting for.  Yet I was terrified - terrified that I would fail him.  In silence I sat, fixated on the clear plastic basket that held my heart.  My breath heaved heavy as I picked him up.  Snuggling him between my legs I began to unwind the unending twirl of fleece that

O Christmas Tree...O Christmas Tree Part II

Welcome back!   I hope y'all are having a blast preparing for Christmas.  It can be hard work to get everything done.  Exhausting in fact.  I'm sure you've earned some relaxation time.  So, grab something warm to drink, prop up your feet for a moment and enjoy some time for yourself.  I hope you'll be inspired by what I've done and be challenged to unleash your imagination too. Jessie's Christmas Tour Part II Guests are greeted by an antique sled adorned with boughs and an adorable coat that my sons wore as toddlers. In years past, I've decorated in an elegant fashion.  I love the grandeur and opulence.  However, this year I decided to go with a more down home natural look and I absolutely love it! A simple way to display Christmas cards.   My mother gave me this nativity a few years ago.  It was handed down from my great aunt.   I miss her SO much.  Pulling this out each year makes me feel as though she is still with me.  It also reminds