Skip to main content

Sour Dough Is Calling My Name

Growing up I lived in good old California for a few years, and visiting San Fransisco was a weekend tradition.  I absolutely loved spending time there.  It is gorgeous!  And nothing beats their freshly baked sour dough!  Ever since moving back I have searched high and low for a recipe that would make my taste buds tingle with delight, but all failed in comparison.  Until now.  Alton Brown has ended my quest.  Finally!  I know.  I know what you're thinking...sour dough takes forever!  Yes, sour dough takes a bit of time but it's really easy and well worth the wait.

17 1/2 ounces of bread flour (all-purpose flour works too)
1/4 teaspoon yeast (room temperature)  
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
12 ounces very warm water (105 degrees)

Mix dry ingredients well; add water.  Knead until flour is absorbed.  Leave in bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap.  Set on counter or in warm place for 19 hours.

After 19 hours punch down with a bit of flour just until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Cover bowl with towel; let rest for 15 minutes.

Form into round loaf.  Place in a towel sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rest for 2 hours.

Place in dutch oven.  Cook at 450 degrees for 30 minutes with the lid on and 15 minutes without the lid.
Internal bread temperature will be 210 degrees.

If you don't own a dutch oven, shape into a loaf and cook in a loaf pan.  However, I am convinced that baking this in a dutch oven is what gives it many layers of amazing flavor.  I would suggest investing in one.  They are rather inexpensive and will make all your food delicious!

Slather with real butter and enjoy a special treat San Franciscan style!  

Has anyone tried this with wheat berries?  If so, did you use hard white or hard red?  Was it successful?


Until next time...
Jessie

Comments

  1. It sounds great. I am not one to make my own bread, though. :( Dutch oven sounds interesting...glad you found the recipe you wanted!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Judgment Loomed

As I exited the door my heart was pierced with their animosity.  Hatred and poison spewed from their lips. The savage mob encircled me with no escape.  Screaming just a breath away from my face.  Shoving with such force I was almost knocked to the ground.  Humiliated.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed through the violence.  Once inside my car I began to weep.   Even in the present their vile words reel through my mind.  Beads of sweat began to form in my tightly clinched fists.  Squirming in my chair... biting my lower lip as an attempt to hold it together.  Peering above the Pastor's head as though I was looking at him... knowing if I did I would burst into tears.  That was my experience at church this past Sunday.  To my relief the Pastor spoke words of love, life and truth NOT condemnation.  Healing and refreshing. ...

Farewell Mr. Turkey

It's time to roll up our sleeves and have some fun in the kitchen!  I can't wait for the scrumptious aroma of Thanksgiving dinner to travel through my home like a welcomed guest.  Mmmmm...yummy!  My mouth is waterin' just thinkin' about it. I get a lot of requests for recipes so here are a few that seem to earn a coveted spot on the menu year after year. Gingered Pumpkin-Pear Soup (Great Appetizer) 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger 1Tbsp. butter 3 pears, peeled, cored, and sliced 1 15-oz. can pumpkin (fresh pumpkin is best) 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth 1 cup milk 1/4 cup sour cream 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lime peel 1 Tbsp. lime juice In a large saucepan cook onion and ginger in butter until onion is tender.  Stir in pears; cook 1 minute more.  Stir in pumpkin and broth; heat to boiling.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until pears are tender.  Cool slightly.  In...

A New Chapter

It seems like yesterday... I can still remember the moment his bare skin pressed against my chest.  With limbs too exhausted to move - still they found their way to envelope this tiny gift.  "Hi baby, I'm your mom."  With the sound of my voice his face turned to meet mine.  Deep, genuine eyes peered into my soul.  Doctors rushed about as I lay on the table, life draining from my veins, but the atmosphere did not speak of the danger lurking.  For just a moment... as that little guy locked me into his gaze.. all was perfect...Heaven met us both... and in our own world two hearts melted into one.   The room was quiet.  Doctors, family and friends had finally left us alone.  This was the moment I had been waiting for.  Yet I was terrified - terrified that I would fail him.  In silence I sat, fixated on the clear plastic basket that held my heart.  My breath heaved heavy as I pic...