Skip to main content

Resurrection Cookies

I wanted to share this with y'all.  I'm not sure where this recipe/idea originated from, but a friend gave it to me many years ago.  Thanks, Mary!  Since that time it's something I've done with our children every year.  Part of our Easter celebration they look forward to - and while they're having fun cooking with mom they're also learning about the cost Jesus paid to give us the gift of salvation.  I'm sure many of you have made these before but I wanted to share for those that hadn't.  Hope y'all enjoy!

Resurrection Cookies:

To be made on the evening before Easter.

1 Cup whole pecans
1 tsp. vinegar
3 egg whites
 pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
zipper baggie
wooden spoon
tape
Bible

Preheat oven to 300 (this is important- don't wait until you're half done with the recipe).

Place pecans in zipper baggie and let children beat them with the wooden spoon to break into small pieces.  Explain that after Jesus was arrested, He was beaten by the Roman soldiers.  Read John 19:1-3

Let each child smell the vinegar.  Put 1 tsp. vinegar into mixing bowl.  Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross He was given vinegar to drink.  Read John 19:28-30

Add egg whites to vinegar.  Eggs represent life.  Explain that Jesus gave His life to give us life.  Read John 10:10-11.

Sprinkle a little salt into each child's hand.  Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl.  Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus' followers and the bitterness of our own sin.  Read Luke 23:27

So far the ingredients are not very appetizing.  Add 1 cup sugar.  Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us.  He wants us to know this and how to belong to Him.  Read Psalms 34:8 and John 3:16

Beat egg whites with a mixer on high speed for 12-15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed.  Explain that the color white represents the purity in God's eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus.  Read Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3

Fold in broken pecans.  Drop by teaspoons onto a wax paper covered cookie sheet.  Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus' body was laid.  Read Matthew 27:57-60

Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door and turn the oven OFF.  Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door.  Explain that Jesus' tomb was sealed.  Read Matthew 27:65-66

Go to bed!  Explain that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven overnight.  Jesus' followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed.  Read John 16:20,22

On Easter morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie.  Notice the cracked surface and take a bite.  The cookies are hollow!  On the first Easter, Jesus' followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty!  Read Matthew 28:1-9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Judgment Loomed

As I exited the door my heart was pierced with their animosity.  Hatred and poison spewed from their lips. The savage mob encircled me with no escape.  Screaming just a breath away from my face.  Shoving with such force I was almost knocked to the ground.  Humiliated.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed through the violence.  Once inside my car I began to weep.   Even in the present their vile words reel through my mind.  Beads of sweat began to form in my tightly clinched fists.  Squirming in my chair... biting my lower lip as an attempt to hold it together.  Peering above the Pastor's head as though I was looking at him... knowing if I did I would burst into tears.  That was my experience at church this past Sunday.  To my relief the Pastor spoke words of love, life and truth NOT condemnation.  Healing and refreshing. ...

Farewell Mr. Turkey

It's time to roll up our sleeves and have some fun in the kitchen!  I can't wait for the scrumptious aroma of Thanksgiving dinner to travel through my home like a welcomed guest.  Mmmmm...yummy!  My mouth is waterin' just thinkin' about it. I get a lot of requests for recipes so here are a few that seem to earn a coveted spot on the menu year after year. Gingered Pumpkin-Pear Soup (Great Appetizer) 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger 1Tbsp. butter 3 pears, peeled, cored, and sliced 1 15-oz. can pumpkin (fresh pumpkin is best) 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth 1 cup milk 1/4 cup sour cream 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lime peel 1 Tbsp. lime juice In a large saucepan cook onion and ginger in butter until onion is tender.  Stir in pears; cook 1 minute more.  Stir in pumpkin and broth; heat to boiling.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until pears are tender.  Cool slightly.  In...

We Have A Baby!!!

It's about time! IT'S A BOY!!!     Malakai James Lutz 7 pounds 14 ounces 20 inches     Until then... Jessie