Skip to main content

Grace in the Black

Deep in the night, I was awakened by her desperate pleas for help.  Before my eyes could open her furnace filled hands grabbed hold of my arm, shaking me with urgency.  "Mommy wake up!  Something is wrong, I can't open my eyes.  Help me!  Please, help me!"  Fear and desperation trembled through her raspy voice.  Eyes matted shut.  This had never happened before.  Leading her to the edge of the tub she sat patiently... waiting for my help.  A cool, damp cloth caressed her face.  Slowly wiping away the scales that kept her eyes from opening and the fever that burned inside.  In time, it began to wipe away the fear and worry displayed.  Holding her chin within my palm..I shook my head... my heart was troubled.  Why did she fear so?  Why was she so uncertain?  Didn't she know I would help her...always.  Huge hazel eyes once again could see, no longer blinded by her circumstance.  Peace was restored to her troubled spirit.  Hugs and kisses spilled out as my hand swept the long strands from her face tucking them behind her ears...reassuring that everything was alright -  all was well.

Making my way back to bed, I lay still within the cotton, the only sound resonating in this house was breath.  But my heart continued to ask why.  What had I done, or failed to do, to cause her lack of confidence in me?  What caused such overwhelming desperation to creep into her precious heart?  In the black I am haunted with remembrance of failures.  I feel like such a failure so much of the time. 

Praying, I pour it upon His feet.  I cry.  I doubt.  I wrestle.  Then, then -I understand.  Her lack of trust in me was a lesson.  How many times do I cry out and plead with God...desperation in my voice as if He doesn't see...doesn't care?  Closing my eyes I could imagine Him standing in front of me...arms outstretched...I could hear Him say: after all this, all I have walked beside you, and carried you through, you still doubt?  You still don't trust me?  My heart ached.  There is no reason for my lack of trust.  No failures on His part.  It's my own heart that fails...fails to have faith.  Blinded so often by the circumstances that surround, I fear.  I grow weary.  I listen to the deceiving voice that calls me failure.  How patient and gentle He is.  Quietly, in the still of the night, He wipes the scales from my eyes that I may see again... and know how much I am loved.  Drifting back to sleep my heart is comforted for I am held.

Until then...
Jessie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Judgment Loomed

As I exited the door my heart was pierced with their animosity.  Hatred and poison spewed from their lips. The savage mob encircled me with no escape.  Screaming just a breath away from my face.  Shoving with such force I was almost knocked to the ground.  Humiliated.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed through the violence.  Once inside my car I began to weep.   Even in the present their vile words reel through my mind.  Beads of sweat began to form in my tightly clinched fists.  Squirming in my chair... biting my lower lip as an attempt to hold it together.  Peering above the Pastor's head as though I was looking at him... knowing if I did I would burst into tears.  That was my experience at church this past Sunday.  To my relief the Pastor spoke words of love, life and truth NOT condemnation.  Healing and refreshing. ...

Farewell Mr. Turkey

It's time to roll up our sleeves and have some fun in the kitchen!  I can't wait for the scrumptious aroma of Thanksgiving dinner to travel through my home like a welcomed guest.  Mmmmm...yummy!  My mouth is waterin' just thinkin' about it. I get a lot of requests for recipes so here are a few that seem to earn a coveted spot on the menu year after year. Gingered Pumpkin-Pear Soup (Great Appetizer) 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger 1Tbsp. butter 3 pears, peeled, cored, and sliced 1 15-oz. can pumpkin (fresh pumpkin is best) 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth 1 cup milk 1/4 cup sour cream 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lime peel 1 Tbsp. lime juice In a large saucepan cook onion and ginger in butter until onion is tender.  Stir in pears; cook 1 minute more.  Stir in pumpkin and broth; heat to boiling.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until pears are tender.  Cool slightly.  In...

A New Chapter

It seems like yesterday... I can still remember the moment his bare skin pressed against my chest.  With limbs too exhausted to move - still they found their way to envelope this tiny gift.  "Hi baby, I'm your mom."  With the sound of my voice his face turned to meet mine.  Deep, genuine eyes peered into my soul.  Doctors rushed about as I lay on the table, life draining from my veins, but the atmosphere did not speak of the danger lurking.  For just a moment... as that little guy locked me into his gaze.. all was perfect...Heaven met us both... and in our own world two hearts melted into one.   The room was quiet.  Doctors, family and friends had finally left us alone.  This was the moment I had been waiting for.  Yet I was terrified - terrified that I would fail him.  In silence I sat, fixated on the clear plastic basket that held my heart.  My breath heaved heavy as I pic...