Skip to main content

Hatred Was Slain...Hatred Arose...

Osama Bin Laden is dead. 
News we have anxiously awaited for has now become reality.  To my surprise I was overwhelmed with conflicting emotions.  On one hand I was relieved that the man who had threatened the future of my children, the lives of my family, friends and fellow countrymen was no longer in existence (Although I'm not naive enough to think that this event has wiped away terrorism).  I was thankful - that those who suffered the atrocities of 9/11 - finally had some justice and closure.  My heart broke again as I remembered that day when so many lives were stolen and many more were forever changed.  I had hope that those who have courageously and faithfully served in our military would be able to come home - reuniting with their families who have sacrificed much in order to protect my own.  I am grateful beyond words for their service.  As a country we have had victory in achieving one of our goals and for that I stand proud.

My spirit also grieved in knowing that Bin Laden's end meant eternal damnation for his soul.  As I watched the cheering crowds on T.V. I felt ill.  I couldn't help but think of him as a child.  Who was he created to be?  I felt deep sorrow for a mother who has lost her son, for family and friends that mourn.  My heart grew heavy amidst the relief ;I could not celebrate.

Was he our enemy, that did unspeakable things to innocent people?  Yes.  It is easy to demonize this man.  Choose not to see him as human... rather a monster.  Yet, he was a soul that God created.  A man Christ died for just like me...just like you.

I anticipated the joyous outpouring from the unbelieving in our country, but not from Christians.  Facebook statuses are smothered with the jubilation of his death.  Am I the only one disturbed by this?  America is known throughout the world for being a Christian nation - this is our testimony - to celebrate the demise of another?  How are we any different than those that paraded in the streets when the towers fell?

One week ago we celebrated Easter.  A sacred holiday for the Christian faith.  Our Facebook statuses then were filled with praises to God for His sacrifice and love demonstrated on the cross.  Did we forget in one week what Christ did for all?  Did we forget it was us that drove each nail into our Saviour?  Still, He cried out "Father forgive them they know not what they do."  His love is what overcame the darkness of our hearts so we may see His light and be forgiven and saved.  We did nothing of our own accord to deserve this.  We were His enemies.  He had every right to hate...far beyond any that have ever lived.  Love is what He chose.  I do not believe that Jesus is rejoicing over Bin Laden's death.  I believe he has great anguish but as a just God He must give a just punishment.  God does not send people to hell, that is their own choosing.  Jesus made a way out.  But do you think Heaven is having a party over what has occurred or do you think our God is grieved?  Grieved by both Bin Laden's end... and the cold, proud, foolish hearts of those who will enter a church on Sunday and sing praises to Him.  We have the truth... yet we still hate... isn't that worse than the one still trapped in darkness?

The fact is, Bin Laden's actions were deplorable and demanded justice.  Love does not always relieve one of consequences.  I'm not saying he should not have paid for his crimes.  I'm not even saying he should not have been killed.  What I am saying is Christians need to be careful to not to cross the line of rejoicing in justice - with delight over his death.  Bin Laden devoted his life to standing upon that which he believed...his beliefs were wrong...now he is burning in hell for eternity.  I have to ask... if you can hate so much that you can rejoice in that...how are you any different from the man you hated?

"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when they stumble, do not let your heart rejoice, or the LORD will see and disapprove and turn his wrath away from them." Proverbs 24:17-18


Until then... 
Jessie  

Comments

  1. Jessica, Thank you for sharing this. I think that many of us have felt the same way. Keep on writing.

    Love you dearly,
    GinniB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had even prayed for him over the years, just hoping that he would come to know Jesus. I was releaved when I found out that he died, but felt like you did concerning the fact that he is in hell. What kind of legacy did he leave for his children? My prayers are now for them, that they would know Jesus.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Judgment Loomed

As I exited the door my heart was pierced with their animosity.  Hatred and poison spewed from their lips.  Murderer!  Whore!  Baby killer!  You'll rot in Hell for what you did!  Over and over...  The savage mob encircled me with no escape.  Screaming just a breath away from my face.  Shoving with such force I was almost knocked to the ground.  They spat in my hair.  Humiliated.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed through the violence.  Once inside my car I began to weep.   Even in the present their vile words reel through my mind.  Beads of sweat began to form in my tightly clinched fists.  Squirming in my chair... biting my lower lip as an attempt to hold it together.  Peering above the Pastor's head as though I was looking at him... knowing if I did I would burst into tears.  That was my experience at church this past Sunday.  To my relief the Pastor spoke words of love, life and truth NOT condemnation.  Healing and refreshing.  It was the uninvited memories that ha

A New Chapter

It seems like yesterday... I can still remember the moment his bare skin pressed against my chest.  With limbs too exhausted to move - still they found their way to envelope this tiny gift.  "Hi baby, I'm your mom."  With the sound of my voice his face turned to meet mine.  Deep, genuine eyes peered into my soul.  Doctors rushed about as I lay on the table, life draining from my veins, but the atmosphere did not speak of the danger lurking.  For just a moment... as that little guy locked me into his gaze.. all was perfect...Heaven met us both... and in our own world two hearts melted into one.   The room was quiet.  Doctors, family and friends had finally left us alone.  This was the moment I had been waiting for.  Yet I was terrified - terrified that I would fail him.  In silence I sat, fixated on the clear plastic basket that held my heart.  My breath heaved heavy as I picked him up.  Snuggling him between my legs I began to unwind the unending twirl of fleece that

O Christmas Tree...O Christmas Tree Part II

Welcome back!   I hope y'all are having a blast preparing for Christmas.  It can be hard work to get everything done.  Exhausting in fact.  I'm sure you've earned some relaxation time.  So, grab something warm to drink, prop up your feet for a moment and enjoy some time for yourself.  I hope you'll be inspired by what I've done and be challenged to unleash your imagination too. Jessie's Christmas Tour Part II Guests are greeted by an antique sled adorned with boughs and an adorable coat that my sons wore as toddlers. In years past, I've decorated in an elegant fashion.  I love the grandeur and opulence.  However, this year I decided to go with a more down home natural look and I absolutely love it! A simple way to display Christmas cards.   My mother gave me this nativity a few years ago.  It was handed down from my great aunt.   I miss her SO much.  Pulling this out each year makes me feel as though she is still with me.  It also reminds