Skip to main content

Love Of A Child

I wake to the stillness.  Beyond the glass frame the trees bend low...still in a slumber blanketed in heavy powder.  The constant creaking of the rocker is the only sound resonating within these walls.  I watch through the frame as creation begins to wake.  The sun rises slowly as if she's in the midst of a slow yawn but my heart doesn't rise with her.  It's low... cloaked with heaviness like the trees outside my window.

The day was rushed like many others with too many things to do.  Coffee in hand I stumbled my way to the blinking screen.  With one click I was bombarded with messages all pressing for my immediate attention.  Quickly I scanned through...one was from a good friend I haven't heard from for a long time.  With anticipation I began to read.  The words slapped harshly against my cold heart.  "You always put Jesus first."  No!  No, I don't.  I wanted to scream, but the sting left me speechless.

I went about my day trying to forget...to ignore his words.  Still they echoed...for days...weeks these words have had me in there grasp.  What does it really mean to put Jesus first, always?

I think of Sruthi, our little girl in India that we committed to sponsor.  How long has it been since I've written her?  How often have I prayed for her?  How well have I loved her?  The answer is difficult to admit: out of sight out of mind...busy with more important matters.  More important matters than people?  No, I don't put Jesus first...

I ink out  "Dearest Sruthi, I write this with a heavy heart...words of shame and repentance.  I tell her that in America we are blessed but unfortunately our blessings can be our biggest curse if we loose sight of who they come from.  I tell her she's precious and beautiful, that Jesus loves her so very much and will never fail her but I - I have been selfish.  I have not loved like I should.  I have failed her.  My heart bleeds out words as I ask her forgiveness and plead with this little girl, that I have never met half - way around the world to pray for me that I would be more loving.  Ashamed.  Humbled.  For it is she that has taught me about love.

The email from my friend was a blessing though not in the way they intended.  I've grown hard, complacent, numb.  A 'friend' betrayed me.  They used their position of authority as a weapon, lying and gossiping, destroying my reputation before many.  It hurt.  It still hurts.  I didn't want to trust anymore.  I didn't want to give - not even love.  In trying to protect my heart from getting hurt again I closed it to all... even the innocent.  Perhaps you've done the same thing?  I realized... without loving people... I can't love God...they go together.  Despite what others do, I am called to keep loving with all my might no matter what.  I choose love.  What about you? 

Comments

  1. You are more of a blessing than you know, Jess. Even when you struggle... because remember, we are only human. We are not perfect beings. But even in your struggle, you bless those around you. I don't know you well, anymore. But what I do know, what I see from miles away, blesses me. Maybe not in ways you intend, but a blessing none the less, because you are real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You bless me too, Tresa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been blessed to watch God continue to radically transform you into His image. You also are the source of my sin because I am still envious of your word imagery, its poetic. Enjoy basking in God's grace this season. He who began this work in you is Faithful, and He will be faithful to complete it in you! We enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Judgment Loomed

As I exited the door my heart was pierced with their animosity.  Hatred and poison spewed from their lips.  Murderer!  Whore!  Baby killer!  You'll rot in Hell for what you did!  Over and over...  The savage mob encircled me with no escape.  Screaming just a breath away from my face.  Shoving with such force I was almost knocked to the ground.  They spat in my hair.  Humiliated.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed through the violence.  Once inside my car I began to weep.   Even in the present their vile words reel through my mind.  Beads of sweat began to form in my tightly clinched fists.  Squirming in my chair... biting my lower lip as an attempt to hold it together.  Peering above the Pastor's head as though I was looking at him... knowing if I did I would burst into tears.  That was my experience at church this past Sunday.  To my relief the Pastor spoke words of love, life and truth NOT condemnation.  Healing and refreshing.  It was the uninvited memories that ha

A New Chapter

It seems like yesterday... I can still remember the moment his bare skin pressed against my chest.  With limbs too exhausted to move - still they found their way to envelope this tiny gift.  "Hi baby, I'm your mom."  With the sound of my voice his face turned to meet mine.  Deep, genuine eyes peered into my soul.  Doctors rushed about as I lay on the table, life draining from my veins, but the atmosphere did not speak of the danger lurking.  For just a moment... as that little guy locked me into his gaze.. all was perfect...Heaven met us both... and in our own world two hearts melted into one.   The room was quiet.  Doctors, family and friends had finally left us alone.  This was the moment I had been waiting for.  Yet I was terrified - terrified that I would fail him.  In silence I sat, fixated on the clear plastic basket that held my heart.  My breath heaved heavy as I picked him up.  Snuggling him between my legs I began to unwind the unending twirl of fleece that

O Christmas Tree...O Christmas Tree Part II

Welcome back!   I hope y'all are having a blast preparing for Christmas.  It can be hard work to get everything done.  Exhausting in fact.  I'm sure you've earned some relaxation time.  So, grab something warm to drink, prop up your feet for a moment and enjoy some time for yourself.  I hope you'll be inspired by what I've done and be challenged to unleash your imagination too. Jessie's Christmas Tour Part II Guests are greeted by an antique sled adorned with boughs and an adorable coat that my sons wore as toddlers. In years past, I've decorated in an elegant fashion.  I love the grandeur and opulence.  However, this year I decided to go with a more down home natural look and I absolutely love it! A simple way to display Christmas cards.   My mother gave me this nativity a few years ago.  It was handed down from my great aunt.   I miss her SO much.  Pulling this out each year makes me feel as though she is still with me.  It also reminds