Skip to main content

Much Needed Color

Easter is right around the corner and it's time to make those plain white eggs into a creative masterpiece.  I love it!  Honestly, even when my kids leave I'll probably still be giddy about drawing on eggs with a crayon and dunkin' them into every color until they are the perfect shade. =)

It's something we do every year, but I have often wondered what nasty things were hidden inside all of those color tablets.  After exploring the truth about artificial coloring I've decided I would like to keep my family away from it as much as I can.  I know it is near impossible to remove all harmful substances in the food they consume... but if I can... why would I choose not to?  This was an easy fix.  Now, instead of buying an egg coloring kit we hunt through our cupboards and make our own.

There are many options, so experiment and most of all have fun!  I would post pictures but honestly we have some of the ugliest eggs ever this year.  My kids decided that each egg should be the perfect shade of gray instead of anything pretty. That's what happens when you ask teen boys to help. =) 

 Pink - Beets

Blue - A few teaspoons of frozen or fresh blueberries.

Purple - Mix the pink and blue

Yellow - A heaping teaspoon of turmeric.

Green - Mix the blue and yellow.  At first we had a difficult time getting a nice shade of green.  We tried spinach and green tea but neither one gave the color we wanted.  Then it dawned on us - blue and yellow make green! =) Haha sometimes we just complicate things.

Bring 2 cups of water and whatever spice or fruit/veggie you're using to a boil.  Reduce heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes or until the color is strong.  Remove from heat and cool.  Add 2 teaspoons of white vinegar.  Give it a good stir and dunk away.


Until then...
Jessie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Judgment Loomed

As I exited the door my heart was pierced with their animosity.  Hatred and poison spewed from their lips.  Murderer!  Whore!  Baby killer!  You'll rot in Hell for what you did!  Over and over...  The savage mob encircled me with no escape.  Screaming just a breath away from my face.  Shoving with such force I was almost knocked to the ground.  They spat in my hair.  Humiliated.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed through the violence.  Once inside my car I began to weep.   Even in the present their vile words reel through my mind.  Beads of sweat began to form in my tightly clinched fists.  Squirming in my chair... biting my lower lip as an attempt to hold it together.  Peering above the Pastor's head as though I was looking at him... knowing if I did I would burst into tears.  That was my experience at church this past Sunday.  To my relief the Pastor spoke words of love, life and truth NOT condemnation.  Healing and refreshing.  It was the uninvited memories that ha

A New Chapter

It seems like yesterday... I can still remember the moment his bare skin pressed against my chest.  With limbs too exhausted to move - still they found their way to envelope this tiny gift.  "Hi baby, I'm your mom."  With the sound of my voice his face turned to meet mine.  Deep, genuine eyes peered into my soul.  Doctors rushed about as I lay on the table, life draining from my veins, but the atmosphere did not speak of the danger lurking.  For just a moment... as that little guy locked me into his gaze.. all was perfect...Heaven met us both... and in our own world two hearts melted into one.   The room was quiet.  Doctors, family and friends had finally left us alone.  This was the moment I had been waiting for.  Yet I was terrified - terrified that I would fail him.  In silence I sat, fixated on the clear plastic basket that held my heart.  My breath heaved heavy as I picked him up.  Snuggling him between my legs I began to unwind the unending twirl of fleece that

O Christmas Tree...O Christmas Tree Part II

Welcome back!   I hope y'all are having a blast preparing for Christmas.  It can be hard work to get everything done.  Exhausting in fact.  I'm sure you've earned some relaxation time.  So, grab something warm to drink, prop up your feet for a moment and enjoy some time for yourself.  I hope you'll be inspired by what I've done and be challenged to unleash your imagination too. Jessie's Christmas Tour Part II Guests are greeted by an antique sled adorned with boughs and an adorable coat that my sons wore as toddlers. In years past, I've decorated in an elegant fashion.  I love the grandeur and opulence.  However, this year I decided to go with a more down home natural look and I absolutely love it! A simple way to display Christmas cards.   My mother gave me this nativity a few years ago.  It was handed down from my great aunt.   I miss her SO much.  Pulling this out each year makes me feel as though she is still with me.  It also reminds