Skip to main content

Ummmm You're Short!

Now THAT'S a cute pair of shoes!!!



It was a day of celebration and I couldn't wait to get to the party!  I slipped on a pair of my favorite shoes, took one final glance in the mirror, hopped in the car and headed on out.  Stepping upon the pavement, I took one leap and my shoe broke!  Horrified I looked down and quickly realized I was now 4 inches closer to the ground. 

Now, you have to understand - I'm a few inches too tall to be cute and petite and many inches from being anything else.  I'm...well...short.  I know, I know, I can't really change my package but it bugs me.  Really...it does.  So, I came up with a solution - cute heels.  It's the best of both worlds.  I get to rock a pair of fabulous shoes AND appear taller. =)

Back to my story, quite rattled by this wardrobe malfunction I wanted to run home.  Silly I know. After taking a few minutes to compose myself... I made the choice to walk into the room with my head held high, a beaming smile and barefoot (thank goodness my toes were adorned with sparkly polish).  It was a party...for someone I loved... and I wasn't going to miss it for anything.  Outwardly, I kept calm, and laughed it off each time someone made a point to let me know I had NO SHOES!  Inwardly, I wanted to scream and  thoughts of smacking the next person that felt the need to discuss my feet were entertained.  Enough was enough - so I just let it be known that my shoe had indeed broken, AND yes, I was in fact BAREFOOT.  *Gasp*

You know... I'm short... it's just a fact.  I can try to pretend I'm something I'm not but in the end my secrets will always be found out. 

I think sometimes we need to just get a grip and be real. 


Perhaps you're not vertically challenged.  However, I'm sure you struggle in other areas.  Maybe your biggest struggle comes on Sunday morning sitting underneath a steeple of perfection.  While teaching/speaking others have told me over and over "I just want to stop playing the game.  Everyone in church seems SO perfect.  I'm not. But I feel like I have to pretend... to be accepted and not judged."  Have you been there?  I have.  Plastic people.  Hurting people drowning behind a smile.  This is too often what happens in the church today.  Don't we need to do better?   I guess, all that really matters is that our outward conduct is in order...we gush Christian rhetoric...we know the right verse to write in every card and email and we use eloquent waxing of words to pray.  After all, we get the perk of looking down our nose in superiority...at least we are not THAT Christian.  We are a master of blending in and we've fooled them all...maybe even ourselves.  Only one problem.  God knows.  Our hearts still stink before him.  So when are we going to stop trying to impress others with our Christianity and just be real?  When you are convicted about an area in your life then tell God, cooperate with the Holy Spirit to change but lets stop acting like something we're not.  None of us are perfect.  If we were we would have no need of His grace.

Until then...
Jessie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Judgment Loomed

As I exited the door my heart was pierced with their animosity.  Hatred and poison spewed from their lips.  Murderer!  Whore!  Baby killer!  You'll rot in Hell for what you did!  Over and over...  The savage mob encircled me with no escape.  Screaming just a breath away from my face.  Shoving with such force I was almost knocked to the ground.  They spat in my hair.  Humiliated.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed through the violence.  Once inside my car I began to weep.   Even in the present their vile words reel through my mind.  Beads of sweat began to form in my tightly clinched fists.  Squirming in my chair... biting my lower lip as an attempt to hold it together.  Peering above the Pastor's head as though I was looking at him... knowing if I did I would burst into tears.  That was my experience at church this past Sunday.  To my relief the Pastor spoke words of love, life and truth NOT condemnation.  Healing and refreshing.  It was the uninvited memories that ha

A New Chapter

It seems like yesterday... I can still remember the moment his bare skin pressed against my chest.  With limbs too exhausted to move - still they found their way to envelope this tiny gift.  "Hi baby, I'm your mom."  With the sound of my voice his face turned to meet mine.  Deep, genuine eyes peered into my soul.  Doctors rushed about as I lay on the table, life draining from my veins, but the atmosphere did not speak of the danger lurking.  For just a moment... as that little guy locked me into his gaze.. all was perfect...Heaven met us both... and in our own world two hearts melted into one.   The room was quiet.  Doctors, family and friends had finally left us alone.  This was the moment I had been waiting for.  Yet I was terrified - terrified that I would fail him.  In silence I sat, fixated on the clear plastic basket that held my heart.  My breath heaved heavy as I picked him up.  Snuggling him between my legs I began to unwind the unending twirl of fleece that

O Christmas Tree...O Christmas Tree Part II

Welcome back!   I hope y'all are having a blast preparing for Christmas.  It can be hard work to get everything done.  Exhausting in fact.  I'm sure you've earned some relaxation time.  So, grab something warm to drink, prop up your feet for a moment and enjoy some time for yourself.  I hope you'll be inspired by what I've done and be challenged to unleash your imagination too. Jessie's Christmas Tour Part II Guests are greeted by an antique sled adorned with boughs and an adorable coat that my sons wore as toddlers. In years past, I've decorated in an elegant fashion.  I love the grandeur and opulence.  However, this year I decided to go with a more down home natural look and I absolutely love it! A simple way to display Christmas cards.   My mother gave me this nativity a few years ago.  It was handed down from my great aunt.   I miss her SO much.  Pulling this out each year makes me feel as though she is still with me.  It also reminds