Skip to main content

A Challenge For Every Woman

For some Mother's Day is a day of celebration.

For others it brings great sorrow. 

There are those who have begged God for a child yet their arms remain empty.  Those who have had a life swell within...only for it to be ripped away too early.  Those who have hope... awaiting anxiously...only to suffer through a failed adoption.  My heart aches for you...some of these I've experienced myself. 

There are those who are blessed with children either through the seed of their womb or through the gift of another...yet they feel like a failure more often than they feel like anything else.  I understand.  I've been there many times myself.

There are those who starve for a mothers' embrace and tender love.

It can be a hard day.  Especially if we lose perspective.

So, where ever you find yourself this Mother's Day.  I want to challenge you. I hope to encourage you.

To the brokenhearted who long for a child but that dream hasn't come yet...don't be resentful of your path.  Stop feeling sorry for yourself.  Don't let the lies of the enemy steal the joy that awaits you.  If you pour into a child's life...you are a mother!  One of the most influential and loved women in my life was a single woman who never had children.  She taught me more than she realized.  Her words of grace, love and wisdom play in my head even now...especially now.  Her sweet memories are a gift that I treasure and my heart misses her greatly.  Don't underestimate the power you have.  Step in and take hold of a child whose mother is plain worn out.  Be an encourager.  Be a blessing.  Be a teacher.  Be the tender embrace that wraps the invisible child...the one whose mother left earth much too early....or the one who was never wanted.  Having a child doesn't make you more of a woman...  Loving one does.  So, stop believing the lie and choose to live with purpose. 

To those who wake to screaming babes, sticky floors, suffocating piles of laundry, plugged toilets and loud.  Oh.  SO.  Loud.  You're not alone.  You are not a failure.  Are you a bad mom?  Probably, at times.  Lets be honest...we all are.  There are moments...days when patience is nowhere to be found.  Angry words bubble out before I know it.  And I just don't have the energy or desire to read one more bedtime story.  Really, I just can't wait until they go to bed.  Maybe you've had those days too?  Motherhood can feel lonely and exhausting.  At times, I have felt like my prayers bounced from the ceiling.  Nothing I do seems to be right or good enough.  I'm not good enough.  That's OK.  That's why we have grace...none of us are good enough.  None of us are perfect.  We mess up.  We make mistakes despite our best intentions.  Sometimes, we just flat out sin because after all, we are sinners.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't care about how we're doing.  Being a mom is a calling that comes with great responsibility and we should always strive to be the best...give our kids the best.  Yet at the end of the day are best is still never good enough.  Our children have holes God shaped holes in their hearts that only He can fill - just like us.  We're all human.  Messy.  I don't like that.  I like things, circumstances, people to be neat...boarders of life to appear as a pristine flower bed that I've pinned on Pinterest.  But life, my family, me...  Messy.

You know what? God can do AMAZING things with messy!

For now, you may feel overwhelmed.  You may have a meltdown in the Walmart baking aisle.  You may smell funny because who knows if the day gave time for a shower, or if your mind was even present enough to remember you needed one.  Wondering - always wondering if anything you do matters.  It does.  Pray...a lot.  Seek wisdom and ask God for a humble heart.  He is so faithful to guide a teachable spirit.  AND for those days when you re-scrub what was clean 30 seconds ago...don't be resentful.  Stop feeling sorry for yourself.  Don't let the lies of the enemy steal the joy of motherhood...your purpose.  Keep putting one foot in front of the other and remember...even though the daunting tasks of motherhood may be mundane and ordinary your children never are.  They are a precious gift entrusted to you...for a time...love them well and enjoy the journey...even the messy.

To the ones who struggle because mom was taken too soon or those whose mothers didn't...perhaps couldn't...love well.  Forgive.  Don't become bitter...that will only destroy you.  Stop feeling sorry for yourself.  Don't let the lies of the enemy steal your joy.  You can choose different for your life now.  Be the mother you always wanted...needed.  Whether single, married, children of your own or a surrogate for others fill your home with laughter.  Smother those innocent souls with hugs and acceptance.  Meet the needs you never had met for yourself.  Give away the love you never received.  Fulfill your purpose and let that pain make your heart overflow with compassion.  Love well.

Finally, lets stop judging and comparing ourselves to every other woman.  We're all unique.  Valuable.  Loved.  Broken.  We need each others mercy, forgiveness and encouragement.  Lets choose to build each other up and celebrate the part we each have in the thing called motherhood.

Until then...
Jessie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Judgment Loomed

As I exited the door my heart was pierced with their animosity.  Hatred and poison spewed from their lips.  Murderer!  Whore!  Baby killer!  You'll rot in Hell for what you did!  Over and over...  The savage mob encircled me with no escape.  Screaming just a breath away from my face.  Shoving with such force I was almost knocked to the ground.  They spat in my hair.  Humiliated.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed through the violence.  Once inside my car I began to weep.   Even in the present their vile words reel through my mind.  Beads of sweat began to form in my tightly clinched fists.  Squirming in my chair... biting my lower lip as an attempt to hold it together.  Peering above the Pastor's head as though I was looking at him... knowing if I did I would burst into tears.  That was my experience at church this past Sunday.  To my relief the Pastor spoke words of love, life and truth NOT condemnation.  Healing and refreshing.  It was the uninvited memories that ha

A New Chapter

It seems like yesterday... I can still remember the moment his bare skin pressed against my chest.  With limbs too exhausted to move - still they found their way to envelope this tiny gift.  "Hi baby, I'm your mom."  With the sound of my voice his face turned to meet mine.  Deep, genuine eyes peered into my soul.  Doctors rushed about as I lay on the table, life draining from my veins, but the atmosphere did not speak of the danger lurking.  For just a moment... as that little guy locked me into his gaze.. all was perfect...Heaven met us both... and in our own world two hearts melted into one.   The room was quiet.  Doctors, family and friends had finally left us alone.  This was the moment I had been waiting for.  Yet I was terrified - terrified that I would fail him.  In silence I sat, fixated on the clear plastic basket that held my heart.  My breath heaved heavy as I picked him up.  Snuggling him between my legs I began to unwind the unending twirl of fleece that

O Christmas Tree...O Christmas Tree Part II

Welcome back!   I hope y'all are having a blast preparing for Christmas.  It can be hard work to get everything done.  Exhausting in fact.  I'm sure you've earned some relaxation time.  So, grab something warm to drink, prop up your feet for a moment and enjoy some time for yourself.  I hope you'll be inspired by what I've done and be challenged to unleash your imagination too. Jessie's Christmas Tour Part II Guests are greeted by an antique sled adorned with boughs and an adorable coat that my sons wore as toddlers. In years past, I've decorated in an elegant fashion.  I love the grandeur and opulence.  However, this year I decided to go with a more down home natural look and I absolutely love it! A simple way to display Christmas cards.   My mother gave me this nativity a few years ago.  It was handed down from my great aunt.   I miss her SO much.  Pulling this out each year makes me feel as though she is still with me.  It also reminds