Skip to main content

Invisible Enemy

It pushes it's way down the path, arousing leaves from their autumn slumber. Dancing it's way through the hanging chimes the music grows louder. With each passing moment it's power intensifies. Lying in bed I listen to it's howling...beating against the barn door...looking for it's weakness...it's way in.

I don't always think of it's existence although it surrounds me daily. Most of the time it's quiet. It's affects invisible. Something to just breath in...breath in without any thought. Sometimes it comes as a gentle welcomed breeze in the midst of July heat or the crisp coolness on an autumn eve, but in the midst of a storm the wind can not be denied. With violence it beats it's way through destroying anything in it's path.

Like our enemy.  
The enemy of our soul. 
All to often I forget he's there.  

Most of the time he's quiet, subtle, clever. At times I welcome his presence. Not intentionally of course - but if I'm honest it can be easier to stay angry than forgive. Holding onto the anger feels good for awhile - like that cool breeze in sweltering heat. It's easier to close my heart, grow cool in my love, rather than loving with a passion. It's easier at least for a time to live sloppy, lazy, careless lives instead of being intentional and taking a stand. To live the way Jesus asks of me takes thought, purpose, intentionality, and prayer...lots of prayer. Yet at times I become complacent and breathe life in...breathe without thought.

But that is how the wrong things take root and destruction begins. Our enemy just like the wind intensifies with strength. He's found a weakness so he beats and howls until he's broken through. 

I encourage you the next time he comes beating at the door of your heart...turn to Jesus. Cry out for help to the one who calms the storm. The one who commands the wind and waves and is our peace.


Until then...   
Jessie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Judgment Loomed

As I exited the door my heart was pierced with their animosity.  Hatred and poison spewed from their lips. The savage mob encircled me with no escape.  Screaming just a breath away from my face.  Shoving with such force I was almost knocked to the ground.  Humiliated.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed through the violence.  Once inside my car I began to weep.   Even in the present their vile words reel through my mind.  Beads of sweat began to form in my tightly clinched fists.  Squirming in my chair... biting my lower lip as an attempt to hold it together.  Peering above the Pastor's head as though I was looking at him... knowing if I did I would burst into tears.  That was my experience at church this past Sunday.  To my relief the Pastor spoke words of love, life and truth NOT condemnation.  Healing and refreshing. ...

Farewell Mr. Turkey

It's time to roll up our sleeves and have some fun in the kitchen!  I can't wait for the scrumptious aroma of Thanksgiving dinner to travel through my home like a welcomed guest.  Mmmmm...yummy!  My mouth is waterin' just thinkin' about it. I get a lot of requests for recipes so here are a few that seem to earn a coveted spot on the menu year after year. Gingered Pumpkin-Pear Soup (Great Appetizer) 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger 1Tbsp. butter 3 pears, peeled, cored, and sliced 1 15-oz. can pumpkin (fresh pumpkin is best) 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth 1 cup milk 1/4 cup sour cream 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lime peel 1 Tbsp. lime juice In a large saucepan cook onion and ginger in butter until onion is tender.  Stir in pears; cook 1 minute more.  Stir in pumpkin and broth; heat to boiling.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until pears are tender.  Cool slightly.  In...

Surprise...Surprise

Wow.  It has been a  VERY  exciting morning!!!  A huge smile spread across my face as I cracked open the barn door and three new babies peeked out to greet me.  Triplets.  Soooo sweet!!  Oh.. baby goats have just stolen my heart... everything about them is pure cuteness.  My stress level has decreased tremendously now that they're all here safely, and Sally is doing great.  We now have 5 babies (4 girls and 1 boy) and two very proud mamas!  Well...three if you count me...  Sally and her kids  Oreo Emma Fudge    Unfortunately, I couldn't spend much time playing with our new additions.  We had an appointment with the  vet so we piled in the car and headed off.  The first round of baby goats needed to be dibudded (have their horns removed) and have the first round of vaccines.  Our trip was not a pleasant experience for me or my poor little goats.  Although t...