Skip to main content

No Longer Children

Written a few years ago.


I've been a mom for almost 24 years now.
No one told me the hardest part would be when my children grew up.

I remember the sleepless nights of crying babes, the never-ending poop and laundry, the chaotic days of having 4 little ones underfoot. I remember the guilt that I wasn't doing anything right or enough. The moments behind the locked bathroom door with faucet running so no one would hear my sobs. 

I remember...

The season I find myself in now is strange. With two grown children already gone, two more on the way out the door, a pre-teen, preschooler, and toddler, I now have a different perspective than I did so long ago. Now, when I scoop up those precious little ones my heart aches a bit in knowing the hard part is yet to come.

I stand at the sink washing dinner dishes when he hugs me - towers over me. That little boy I used to wrap in my arms now wraps me in his man-sized frame. It's been this way for years, but I never get used to it. We talk until 1 a.m. He tells me how a car almost fell on him at work. He shares his struggles...tells me of his dreams. We laugh. These moments are some of my greatest treasures that will soon be gone.

He will leave soon.


The younger one has a truck, a girlfriend, and his own company. Always some dangerous tool in his hands - my mom-heart is not fond of this. He wrestles with his sister in the kitchen like the little boy I remember and I smile at the memories of the one who has always kept me on my toes. Then he steps up to a platform as a man to give his testimony of how God has changed his heart.

He will leave soon.


I know they've grown into men. Still, my heart remembers them as those little ones I rocked to sleep each night.

I'm so proud of them and excited to see what the future holds. But I'll miss them...time goes too fast.

Gone are the days of them being little boys. Yet if they were hurt, I would run to them with the same panic and fierceness as I did when they were two but I won't be able to kiss the boo-boo away. Now their hurts and calling loom greater than either of us.

This is what keeps me on my knees.
When they were little I had a false sense of control.

Now I'm keenly aware that I have control of nothing. 
I simply have to trust God with their hearts...even when I don't understand.


Now I see them walking into danger - sometimes for noble reasons...sometimes foolish ones. I know they could be hurt but all I can do is pray. At times I have to let them fall flat on their face without picking them up - only stretching out a helping hand when they want to get up. Sometimes I choose to support their decision when my heart is really screaming no. I have to choose over and over to step out of the way so they can become who God made them to be and sometimes that means letting go of all that I wanted them to be.  





Until then...
Jessie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Judgment Loomed

As I exited the door my heart was pierced with their animosity.  Hatred and poison spewed from their lips.  Murderer!  Whore!  Baby killer!  You'll rot in Hell for what you did!  Over and over...  The savage mob encircled me with no escape.  Screaming just a breath away from my face.  Shoving with such force I was almost knocked to the ground.  They spat in my hair.  Humiliated.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed through the violence.  Once inside my car I began to weep.   Even in the present their vile words reel through my mind.  Beads of sweat began to form in my tightly clinched fists.  Squirming in my chair... biting my lower lip as an attempt to hold it together.  Peering above the Pastor's head as though I was looking at him... knowing if I did I would burst into tears.  That was my experience at church this past Sunday.  To my relief the Pastor spoke words of love, life and truth NOT condemnation.  Healing and refreshing.  It was the uninvited memories that ha

A New Chapter

It seems like yesterday... I can still remember the moment his bare skin pressed against my chest.  With limbs too exhausted to move - still they found their way to envelope this tiny gift.  "Hi baby, I'm your mom."  With the sound of my voice his face turned to meet mine.  Deep, genuine eyes peered into my soul.  Doctors rushed about as I lay on the table, life draining from my veins, but the atmosphere did not speak of the danger lurking.  For just a moment... as that little guy locked me into his gaze.. all was perfect...Heaven met us both... and in our own world two hearts melted into one.   The room was quiet.  Doctors, family and friends had finally left us alone.  This was the moment I had been waiting for.  Yet I was terrified - terrified that I would fail him.  In silence I sat, fixated on the clear plastic basket that held my heart.  My breath heaved heavy as I picked him up.  Snuggling him between my legs I began to unwind the unending twirl of fleece that

O Christmas Tree...O Christmas Tree Part II

Welcome back!   I hope y'all are having a blast preparing for Christmas.  It can be hard work to get everything done.  Exhausting in fact.  I'm sure you've earned some relaxation time.  So, grab something warm to drink, prop up your feet for a moment and enjoy some time for yourself.  I hope you'll be inspired by what I've done and be challenged to unleash your imagination too. Jessie's Christmas Tour Part II Guests are greeted by an antique sled adorned with boughs and an adorable coat that my sons wore as toddlers. In years past, I've decorated in an elegant fashion.  I love the grandeur and opulence.  However, this year I decided to go with a more down home natural look and I absolutely love it! A simple way to display Christmas cards.   My mother gave me this nativity a few years ago.  It was handed down from my great aunt.   I miss her SO much.  Pulling this out each year makes me feel as though she is still with me.  It also reminds