Skip to main content

That Tall One

He's eighteen.

It was just a moment ago that he was my sweet, chubby, curly-crowned toddler.

Clutching tightly to the hem of my dress he followed my every step. All day. Every. Day. More times than I can count I've placed him in that sink to scrub away the dirt...reached out to grab hold of another love bouquet...glued together the bread necklace that kept losing pieces - I wore it proudly anytime I went out. I've cleaned up cheese and Oreos he left in the most unexpected places. Watched the thrill spread his face as he opened a box of tap lights...learned to ride a unicycle...got his license. I've grabbed on for dear life as he spun me around country roads in a yellow truck named Buttermilk...and I've listened to that singing Billy Bass until I knew I was going to be committed. He's always been the one who found joy in the peculiar. Always the one who got me - and made me roar with laughter. We're so much alike and yet very different.

Now we're here.
It's been a long while since I've hugged a soft boy that swept my chin. For many years he has towered over me and when his arms wrap my frame I get a bit lost. Still - I wanted to believe there was time.

As I lay between the cotton, the eve before his birthday, memories flood my thoughts. I try to pin down when it was exactly - the moment he went from a boy to a man.

He was eight.

He ask for Cherry Cheesecake instead of a birthday cake. That is when it began. He started making my coffee every morning. He was growing up but where we are presently seemed so far in the distance. Time went so fast - too fast.

Change. It's a constant in life.

Reality hits hard the day after he blew out candles. It's Sunday. I'm sitting on the couch. Sick.  Holding my youngest babe when his words spin like a whirlwind. At the end, I feel like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz but my heart feels like the wicked witch the house fell upon. Crushed.

He wants to move to Kansas...buy some land and a fixer upper. The thought of him leaving hurts.  Not seeing his smiling face or hearing "my pleasure." everyday...hurts. Yet, at the same time I couldn't be more proud of him.

I understand it won't be long until he leaves and his younger brother trails close behind. That's what they're supposed to do. I'm preparing my heart.

They were never mine to begin with.  I remind myself to trust God because He loves them even more than I.  I can't wait to see how the story unfolds and I want him to go if this is the plan God has.

But it's not easy.
It's honestly the hardest part of parenting.

He shows me the houses he's been spying and then walks to his room to take a nap.
I hold that youngest babe a bit longer...it won't be long until it's their time to leave too.

Until then...
Jessie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Judgment Loomed

As I exited the door my heart was pierced with their animosity.  Hatred and poison spewed from their lips.  Murderer!  Whore!  Baby killer!  You'll rot in Hell for what you did!  Over and over...  The savage mob encircled me with no escape.  Screaming just a breath away from my face.  Shoving with such force I was almost knocked to the ground.  They spat in my hair.  Humiliated.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed through the violence.  Once inside my car I began to weep.   Even in the present their vile words reel through my mind.  Beads of sweat began to form in my tightly clinched fists.  Squirming in my chair... biting my lower lip as an attempt to hold it together.  Peering above the Pastor's head as though I was looking at him... knowing if I did I would burst into tears.  That was my experience at church this past Sunday.  To my relief the Pastor spoke words of love, life and truth NOT condemnation.  Healing and refreshing.  It was the uninvited memories that ha

A New Chapter

It seems like yesterday... I can still remember the moment his bare skin pressed against my chest.  With limbs too exhausted to move - still they found their way to envelope this tiny gift.  "Hi baby, I'm your mom."  With the sound of my voice his face turned to meet mine.  Deep, genuine eyes peered into my soul.  Doctors rushed about as I lay on the table, life draining from my veins, but the atmosphere did not speak of the danger lurking.  For just a moment... as that little guy locked me into his gaze.. all was perfect...Heaven met us both... and in our own world two hearts melted into one.   The room was quiet.  Doctors, family and friends had finally left us alone.  This was the moment I had been waiting for.  Yet I was terrified - terrified that I would fail him.  In silence I sat, fixated on the clear plastic basket that held my heart.  My breath heaved heavy as I picked him up.  Snuggling him between my legs I began to unwind the unending twirl of fleece that

O Christmas Tree...O Christmas Tree Part II

Welcome back!   I hope y'all are having a blast preparing for Christmas.  It can be hard work to get everything done.  Exhausting in fact.  I'm sure you've earned some relaxation time.  So, grab something warm to drink, prop up your feet for a moment and enjoy some time for yourself.  I hope you'll be inspired by what I've done and be challenged to unleash your imagination too. Jessie's Christmas Tour Part II Guests are greeted by an antique sled adorned with boughs and an adorable coat that my sons wore as toddlers. In years past, I've decorated in an elegant fashion.  I love the grandeur and opulence.  However, this year I decided to go with a more down home natural look and I absolutely love it! A simple way to display Christmas cards.   My mother gave me this nativity a few years ago.  It was handed down from my great aunt.   I miss her SO much.  Pulling this out each year makes me feel as though she is still with me.  It also reminds