Skip to main content

Our Sweet Baby


Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 3:04 a.m. I sit - alone.
The earth weeps and so do I.
Oh, how my heart aches!

August 3, 2016 we cradled your sister, Miriam, in dirt.
August 3, 2018 we found out we were having you!




For 734 days we prayed for you. No. Begged God for you!
He gave us what we ask..but we were not ready to give you back so soon.




Your delivery was agonizing and exhausting. Still, I'm grateful to have felt every contraction. Those were the last hours I had with you...the special thing only you and I could share. And in some odd way the physical pain helps my heart make sense of it's pain. When my water broke, I knew losing you was inevitable. I hoped and prayed to deliver you at home but after 8 hours the rapid blood loss sent me into shock. Your dad managed to get me in the car and race to the ER were we spent part of the night.

The one place I didn't want to be.

Yet, every person we encountered was so kind and compassionate. Every. Single. One. Even the young doctor whose math skills were put to the test trying to figure out how many babies and pregnancies we've had. The look on his face when we said we have seven living children. "Seven?!" Yes, seven amazing, beautiful, adored, blessings.

I was where I didn't want to be - but God was with me the whole time. That seems to be a pattern in my life.

After a few hours I was released to go home. The ultrasound showed no baby, just uterine debris. I had delivered enough that it was not a concern for any further hemorrhaging.

Uterine debris?
I never saw my baby...
And my womb didn't howl with the knowing - that horrific knowing that someone precious had been ripped away.

We went home.
For the next 22 hours the contractions continued. Soon they were coming every 3 minutes and were intensifying. You were still there! You hadn't been flushed away by accident or carelessly disposed of. We had a chance to give you the dignity you deserve.

You finally came on Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 2:27 a.m.
I held you in my hand, trying to engrave every detail of your frame into my memory.
You're smaller than your sister had been... not as fully developed... about the size of a kidney bean. Uterine debris? No! Our son...our baby...a precious eternal soul. We name you Peter Isaiah.

Peter - Rock
Isaiah -YAHWEH is salvation

Now - now my womb screams for what has been stolen and my heart feels crushed but my mind... is still in denial.

When the blood first came I knew the possible road ahead. I stared at my journal... pages staring back at me. It was supposed to be filled with wonderful memories of your life but now I'm pouring out prayers asking God for strength. Begging for help to get out of bed when the dark days come and my heart wants to give up in despair. I can't do this again without Him. I pray scripture and promises back. I know the sorrow and I don't want to walk through it again.

But

I would never wish you had not been. For ten weeks and four days I had the privilege of carrying you. I'm honored to be your mom. From the moment I knew you were there I woke every morning grateful for the gift you are. Every morning praying for your health, that you would have a kind heart, that you would know how completely loved you are. I prayed that you would have a beautiful spirit and that you would be an honest, strong, and courageous man who served Jesus every day of your life. I prayed that I would hear your cry and my arms would be filled with all that you are.

But God's plan for you didn't line up with mine.
I don't get to keep you.
I never heard you.
You...died.
And I don't know why.

You will always be  loved beyond what I can speak. Wanted before you were ever conceived. You are fearfully and wonderfully made, now resting in the arms of Jesus.
Soon, we will cradle you next to Miriam under that changing maple and the battle of remembering that I live in the land of the living instead of clinging to you will begin. One day though, I will see you again.

Comments

  1. my love and many many hugs & prayers for you and your family to find some comfort in such a truly heartbreaking time....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Judgment Loomed

As I exited the door my heart was pierced with their animosity.  Hatred and poison spewed from their lips.  Murderer!  Whore!  Baby killer!  You'll rot in Hell for what you did!  Over and over...  The savage mob encircled me with no escape.  Screaming just a breath away from my face.  Shoving with such force I was almost knocked to the ground.  They spat in my hair.  Humiliated.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed through the violence.  Once inside my car I began to weep.   Even in the present their vile words reel through my mind.  Beads of sweat began to form in my tightly clinched fists.  Squirming in my chair... biting my lower lip as an attempt to hold it together.  Peering above the Pastor's head as though I was looking at him... knowing if I did I would burst into tears.  That was my experience at church this past Sunday.  To my relief the Pastor spoke words of love, life and truth NOT condemnation.  Healing and refreshing.  It was the uninvited memories that ha

A New Chapter

It seems like yesterday... I can still remember the moment his bare skin pressed against my chest.  With limbs too exhausted to move - still they found their way to envelope this tiny gift.  "Hi baby, I'm your mom."  With the sound of my voice his face turned to meet mine.  Deep, genuine eyes peered into my soul.  Doctors rushed about as I lay on the table, life draining from my veins, but the atmosphere did not speak of the danger lurking.  For just a moment... as that little guy locked me into his gaze.. all was perfect...Heaven met us both... and in our own world two hearts melted into one.   The room was quiet.  Doctors, family and friends had finally left us alone.  This was the moment I had been waiting for.  Yet I was terrified - terrified that I would fail him.  In silence I sat, fixated on the clear plastic basket that held my heart.  My breath heaved heavy as I picked him up.  Snuggling him between my legs I began to unwind the unending twirl of fleece that

O Christmas Tree...O Christmas Tree Part II

Welcome back!   I hope y'all are having a blast preparing for Christmas.  It can be hard work to get everything done.  Exhausting in fact.  I'm sure you've earned some relaxation time.  So, grab something warm to drink, prop up your feet for a moment and enjoy some time for yourself.  I hope you'll be inspired by what I've done and be challenged to unleash your imagination too. Jessie's Christmas Tour Part II Guests are greeted by an antique sled adorned with boughs and an adorable coat that my sons wore as toddlers. In years past, I've decorated in an elegant fashion.  I love the grandeur and opulence.  However, this year I decided to go with a more down home natural look and I absolutely love it! A simple way to display Christmas cards.   My mother gave me this nativity a few years ago.  It was handed down from my great aunt.   I miss her SO much.  Pulling this out each year makes me feel as though she is still with me.  It also reminds