Skip to main content

A Fresh Start

It's here...the New Year.  Our past lies in the shadows of yesterday and our future lies before us unfolding each new moment.  It's the time for new beginnings...a fresh start...a clean slate.  For most, this thought brings relief, but for some it brings fear.  Fear that this year will slip away as quickly as the last...that moments will fade into memories...people that are dear will be no more...intentions will never become actions and dreams...well... they will remain as nothing more than a dream.  As the Christmas season approached this is where I found myself.  My heart was weary and fearful.  The last few years have been a desert filled with pain, disappointment, loss and loneliness.  Many times I've struggled to trust God, to be grateful for these things, these things that wound so deeply.  Sometimes my prayers have felt as though they bounce off the ceiling and no matter how much I beg or scream He doesn't hear me.  I've been thirsty.

I walked into our meeting that chilly December morning having no idea of what was to come.  Curled in a leather chair I watched for her through the glass pane.  With gooey goodness in hand she stepped out of the car, her radiant smile brought instant joy.  Her announcement came as we stood around chatting, laughing, and filling our plates to the brim with scrumptious treats.  She had a gift for us...a beautiful gift...her voice.  Standing humbly before us she worshipped God in such a raw, pure form...singing one of my favorite songs "Breath of Heaven" I fought back the tears...and my heart overflowed with gratefulness.  What an amazing gift.  Perfect.  Her song, her heart, her words were the reminder I've been so desperately in need of.  All we need to overcome the trials of this life is His grace.

For my family, this Christmas season was bitter-sweet but His grace carried us through.  My dear friend gave something precious to me that day.  I doubt she knew, it would be the light that reminded me of truth on some very dark days.  Thank you, Karla!

Never underestimate the power of encouragement and speaking truth of the hope we have in Jesus.  He is always enough.

I've never been one to have New Year resolutions.  However, I do take time at the close of each year to reflect, reprioritize and set some life goals.  This year - I only have one thing on the list: Be carried by His grace.




Until then...
Jessie

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Judgment Loomed

As I exited the door my heart was pierced with their animosity.  Hatred and poison spewed from their lips. The savage mob encircled me with no escape.  Screaming just a breath away from my face.  Shoving with such force I was almost knocked to the ground.  Humiliated.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed through the violence.  Once inside my car I began to weep.   Even in the present their vile words reel through my mind.  Beads of sweat began to form in my tightly clinched fists.  Squirming in my chair... biting my lower lip as an attempt to hold it together.  Peering above the Pastor's head as though I was looking at him... knowing if I did I would burst into tears.  That was my experience at church this past Sunday.  To my relief the Pastor spoke words of love, life and truth NOT condemnation.  Healing and refreshing. ...

Farewell Mr. Turkey

It's time to roll up our sleeves and have some fun in the kitchen!  I can't wait for the scrumptious aroma of Thanksgiving dinner to travel through my home like a welcomed guest.  Mmmmm...yummy!  My mouth is waterin' just thinkin' about it. I get a lot of requests for recipes so here are a few that seem to earn a coveted spot on the menu year after year. Gingered Pumpkin-Pear Soup (Great Appetizer) 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger 1Tbsp. butter 3 pears, peeled, cored, and sliced 1 15-oz. can pumpkin (fresh pumpkin is best) 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth 1 cup milk 1/4 cup sour cream 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lime peel 1 Tbsp. lime juice In a large saucepan cook onion and ginger in butter until onion is tender.  Stir in pears; cook 1 minute more.  Stir in pumpkin and broth; heat to boiling.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until pears are tender.  Cool slightly.  In...

A New Chapter

It seems like yesterday... I can still remember the moment his bare skin pressed against my chest.  With limbs too exhausted to move - still they found their way to envelope this tiny gift.  "Hi baby, I'm your mom."  With the sound of my voice his face turned to meet mine.  Deep, genuine eyes peered into my soul.  Doctors rushed about as I lay on the table, life draining from my veins, but the atmosphere did not speak of the danger lurking.  For just a moment... as that little guy locked me into his gaze.. all was perfect...Heaven met us both... and in our own world two hearts melted into one.   The room was quiet.  Doctors, family and friends had finally left us alone.  This was the moment I had been waiting for.  Yet I was terrified - terrified that I would fail him.  In silence I sat, fixated on the clear plastic basket that held my heart.  My breath heaved heavy as I pic...