Skip to main content

Let Go

It was nearing 1 a.m. still we were hanging upon each spoken syllable.  He is a man of few words but tonight...tonight was different.  Each of us sat on the edge of our seat intently listening, leaning in as if we were stepping into each page of the tale.  Captivated.

The story: His experiences as a delivery driver.

Pulling up to the house all appeared to be normal, but as the lady led him to the basement a fowl odor wafted through the air.  Standing before the freezer (that had been duct taped shut)...Silently watching in horror as goo oozed out into puddles upon the cement slab...He gasped...the stench was unbearable!  "Ma'am is the freezer empty?"  A look of embarrassment and shame spread across her face.  "No."  Stammering about she finally admitted to the unthinkable...she collected her dead pets!  "I couldn't bury them and I wouldn't dare throw them away.  So, I froze them.  It worked!  Until the freezer broke, and they all defrosted." OOOOOO!!! Was the loud shudder of the room.  Looking at each other we all burst into laughter.  What kind of nut freezes dead animals!  This lady REALLY needed to let go!

Hmmm, it's easy to laugh about something so extreme but what things do I hold onto, that I should have let go of long ago?  Instead of trusting God, I've held onto some things...things of the past...unhealthy relationships...pain...fear...lies.  If those things are left they rot away inside my heart.  No matter how much I try to conceal their existence they ooze out leaving an ugly stench to my life.  Still I struggle to give certain things up.  I wonder, am I the only one that struggles with this?  Maybe you struggle too?  Perhaps today is the day to let go...

Until then...
Jessie

Comments

  1. So glad you posted this piece Jessie! Such freedom and peace in letting go and trusting God for Who He is!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Judgment Loomed

As I exited the door my heart was pierced with their animosity.  Hatred and poison spewed from their lips. The savage mob encircled me with no escape.  Screaming just a breath away from my face.  Shoving with such force I was almost knocked to the ground.  Humiliated.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed through the violence.  Once inside my car I began to weep.   Even in the present their vile words reel through my mind.  Beads of sweat began to form in my tightly clinched fists.  Squirming in my chair... biting my lower lip as an attempt to hold it together.  Peering above the Pastor's head as though I was looking at him... knowing if I did I would burst into tears.  That was my experience at church this past Sunday.  To my relief the Pastor spoke words of love, life and truth NOT condemnation.  Healing and refreshing. ...

Farewell Mr. Turkey

It's time to roll up our sleeves and have some fun in the kitchen!  I can't wait for the scrumptious aroma of Thanksgiving dinner to travel through my home like a welcomed guest.  Mmmmm...yummy!  My mouth is waterin' just thinkin' about it. I get a lot of requests for recipes so here are a few that seem to earn a coveted spot on the menu year after year. Gingered Pumpkin-Pear Soup (Great Appetizer) 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger 1Tbsp. butter 3 pears, peeled, cored, and sliced 1 15-oz. can pumpkin (fresh pumpkin is best) 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth 1 cup milk 1/4 cup sour cream 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lime peel 1 Tbsp. lime juice In a large saucepan cook onion and ginger in butter until onion is tender.  Stir in pears; cook 1 minute more.  Stir in pumpkin and broth; heat to boiling.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until pears are tender.  Cool slightly.  In...

A New Chapter

It seems like yesterday... I can still remember the moment his bare skin pressed against my chest.  With limbs too exhausted to move - still they found their way to envelope this tiny gift.  "Hi baby, I'm your mom."  With the sound of my voice his face turned to meet mine.  Deep, genuine eyes peered into my soul.  Doctors rushed about as I lay on the table, life draining from my veins, but the atmosphere did not speak of the danger lurking.  For just a moment... as that little guy locked me into his gaze.. all was perfect...Heaven met us both... and in our own world two hearts melted into one.   The room was quiet.  Doctors, family and friends had finally left us alone.  This was the moment I had been waiting for.  Yet I was terrified - terrified that I would fail him.  In silence I sat, fixated on the clear plastic basket that held my heart.  My breath heaved heavy as I pic...